Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Juxtaposing Rough And Refined

I know I have blogged about Darryl Carter before, but I can't help but go off on some of my favorite designers!  Darryl gets it; his design is based on minimalism - stripping away all unnecessary embellishment (loud colors, busy patterns) to focus attention on carefully curated pieces.
How sad to have beautiful antiques throughout your home, but you can't see them because there is too much going on.
This is a huge reason why I love the monochromatic!  
Darryl says, "White rooms make old things seem more current."  He goes on to say, "White rooms are more complex than they appear because there are no distractions.  Every choice becomes critical."
I love Darryl's 19th-century Virginia home.  He perfectly balances the rough and refined, creating the perfect juxtaposition of texture and atmosphere!














I love how Rosy Strazzeri-Fridman puts it: "It's not that I have an aversion to color - it's just that I have more of an affinity for the monochromatic.  For me, people are color, flowers are color, food is color... and all of this is my canvas."
... amen girl!







3 comments:

  1. I'm a fan of Darryl's work, his home is beautiful...Love the quote by Rosy Strazzeri-Fridman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this home. So classically simple and refined. I can't stop looking at it. Thank-you for the inspiration! And the quote.. spot on!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMEN, sista. i'm crazy about him too. i love the beautiful backdrop white provides for everyday life. even a simple white bowl filled with pasta and red marinara in a white kitchen takes on importance.

    great post!

    michele

    ReplyDelete